Re: [Gnash-dev] No DRM with Gnash movie

From: John Gilmore
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] No DRM with Gnash movie
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 00:59:03 -0700

> I am trying to implement a DRM solution around Flash movie ...
> I want to use GNash as the flash player.

The creators of Gnash (and other GNU software) are not interested in
having you build freedom-killing DRM systems, by building on the
results of our hard work.  We wrote our licenses to prevent you.

Gnash's license does not allow it to be used for a DRM system.
See clause 3 of the GPL here:

  https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

Basically, users are free to modify their GPL-licensed software to
defeat your DRM system.  There is no legal penalty for doing so,
because the software defines itself as "not an effective technological
measure" under the legal support for building monopolies with DRM.  A
DRM system that every user is legally and technically free to defeat
is not much of a DRM system.

(By the way, you also can't install Gnash into a product for use by
consumers, without giving its users a way to install improved versions
of Gnash into the product.  See clause 6 and the three paragraphs
there that talk about "User Product"s.  These improved versions can
include improvements that defeat your DRM.  If you go ahead anyway and
put unchangeable Gnash binaries into a user product despite Gnash's
license, you would be infringing FSF.ORG's copyright on gnash, and
FSF would likely come after you.  The penalties for willful copyright
violation for commercial gain are quite high.)

So please don't use our software to try to build your monopoly.

I recommend that you re-examine why you think you want or need DRM.
Consider coming out from behind the Mickey Mouse Iron Curtain and
joining the free world.  Freedom always needs more supporters.

        John Gilmore