[Gnash-dev] Gnash L10n

From: Chris Leonard
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Gnash L10n
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 15:45:31 -0400

Dear Gnash-devs,

I very much believe that one of the simplest ways to expand your user-base is to add new languages to your L10n.  A small fraction of those users may become contributors, so it can help with recruiting developers as well.  I am quite happy to facilitate the L10n of Gnash via hosting on our Pootle instance, but I am curious as to why Gnash does not take advantage of hosting L10n on the Gnome Damned Lies server.

http://l10n.gnome.org/

I must imagine that the Gnome 18n team would surely recognize Gnash as a sister effort within the GNU Project and make hosting available along with access to the large number of L10n teams working via Damned Lies.  It would certainly be no insult to the Sugar Labs team if Gnash chose to migrate L10n hosting there.  As a matter of fact, we encourage our localizers to work on a whole variety of upstream packages by providing a "tracking ticket" type Pootle project:

http://translate.sugarlabs.org/projects/upstream_l10n/

Each file in this project is not for translation in and of itself, but for providing a link to the upstream home of the package's L10n effort and for tracking their completion to focus our upstream contributions where they are needed.

In the case of Gnome, Claude Paroz of the Gnome i18n team has kindly provided Sugar Labs / OLPC with a "release set" allowing us to track the bits pulled into Sugar and the OLPC Gnome dual-boot builds so it is very easy for our localizers to identify upstream work that will "trickle down".

http://l10n.gnome.org/releases/olpc/

If Gnash were to host L10n on Damned Lies, I would just add it to the list of packages in the OLPC release set.  I would of course work to facilitate the migration of any strings completed on our Pootle instance to Damned Lies hosting should such a choice be made by Gnash developers.  In any event, we will continue to offer hosting PO file hosting and periodic updates of the templates on the Sugar Labs Poolte instance until the Gnash community decides it would like to pursue other arrangements.  Just something to think about.

Warmest Regards,

cjl
Sugar Labs Translation team Coordinator