Re: [Gnash-dev] one day AVM2? who knows

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] one day AVM2? who knows
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 19:57:11 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 07:31:19AM -0600, Rob Savoye wrote:

> The short summary is Lightspark is not suitable, as it's a plugin
> only, and not a library. The Lightspark team had no interest in making
> the types of changes we'd need. Other issues are it's OpenGL only,
> uses LLVM, etc... To use Lightspark we'd have to write an NPAPI
> wrapper for Gnash to "plugin" Lightspark.

Well, while it would be nice to use lightspark as a library, given that
this won't happen, the question to ask is: how much effort would it be
to *fork* the lightspark code, to use as a base for AVM2 support in
Gnash?

Tamarin is probably more mature (AIUI it's actual code from Adobe's
proprietary player); but the fact that lightspark already implements the
most important AS3 classes, might actually outweigh this. (If they can
be integrated into Gnash in a sane manner...)

Or perhaps it might even be possible to do both: take Tamarin as the
AVM2 engine, and the AS3 classes from lightspark?

-antrik-