Re: [Gnash-dev] Introduction

From: Sandro Santilli
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Introduction
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 01:14:38 +0200

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 04:21:18PM -0600, thePalindrome theParanoid wrote:
> Hello, I've been trying out gnash hoping to play all the games I liked way
> back when, but I noted that a good deal of them suffer from the same
> problem.
>
> As far as I can tell from the log, the lack of AVM2 support is causing the
> first two frames to loop, which makes playing games problematic :P
>
> I won't claim that I'm particularly knowledgable, but I do hope that I can
> at least get some work done.
>
> Any suggestions from the veterans?

If you dig in the git history you'll find traces of an attempt
to implement AVM2 support. It was dumped because it was a
maintainance problem and seemed to be a dead road. But you could
look at it to get an idea.

Or you could start from scratch with some simple tests targetting
an AVM2 machine.

If you want to just get familiar with the code you may try
implementing some kind of nicer user feedback for when AVM2
is encountered (something that doesn't require digging in
the logs, like a GUI popup with "don't tell me anymore" option).
There is a ticket about the GUI notification, on savannah.

  /\   https://strk.kbt.io/services.html