gnash

Re: [Gnash] Tabs vs. Spaces

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Tabs vs. Spaces
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 17:11:24 -0700

strk wrote:

I noticed that in our recent actionscript class files (the ones
starting with a capital letter under server/), instead of tabs, we are

These were generated by a shell script, and I'll be honest, I didn't pay that much attention to the indentation, I just wanted the generated code to be correct. I use "gnu" style in emacs, and just let c++mode handle indenting. My slightly tweaked GNU style settings are in the appendix of the Gnash manual.
(http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/manual/gnash.html#codestyle)

c++-mode enforces the 4 character indent. You'll get TABS for 8 character spans, and 4 spaces for much indenting. I'm sorry it's a pain in gedit, but using c++-mode in emacs makes all this so easy I don't really pay much attention to indenting. In a crunch, you can type it up however you want in gedit, and run "indent-region" on the buffer in emacs to set it right.

in most of the rest of gnash code, we simply use tabs - could we agree
this will be the standard for all of our files? If so, would someone
like to (or does anyone mind if I) go through and "fix" all these
4-space-tabs by turning them into '\t' characters?

In many of the original files, tabs were forced to be 8 spaces, which often had code lines wrapping across multiple lines of the window. I do prefer a somewhat more compact style.

        - rob -