gnash

Re: [Gnash] Playing multiple movies at the same time

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Playing multiple movies at the same time
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 22:36:03 +0200

On Sun, Aug 19, 2007 at 08:54:50PM +0200, Sergio Garcia Murillo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently working in using flash movies for Video IVR systems in Asterisk.
> I've got something working (currently working on audio) and probably I'l make
> it public next week.
>
> But I have seen that currently there is no way of playing multiple movies at
> the same time so I'll have to use forking as there is done in the plugins.

Correct. The fix would be implementing a VM::reset() with same signature of
VM::init()
and taking care of stopping all threads, dropping all references to GC
resources from
the roots, collect garbage and restart. Would need a fair amount of testing as
any as_object
would have a reference to the *old* (now destroyed) VM.

> Also I've found that due to the garbage collector it's not possible to use
> different
> threads to load and play the movie.

We are actually using a thread to load the movie in the core lib already, with
assertion checking that the loader/parser thread doesn't mess with the garbage
collector
at all.

> Would any work done in that area considered interesting to be commited?

Sure, cleaning up modules interface will be appreciated.

--strk;