gnash

Re: [Gnash] Seamonkey and Gnash does not work - help

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Seamonkey and Gnash does not work - help
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 10:47:49 +0100

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 12:54:47AM -0400, Lee Gold wrote:
> Using Seamonkey 2.0. Xubuntu 9.10. Synaptic  installs for Gnash, mozilla-
> plugin-gnash, ffmpeg, gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg. Initially Youtube played
> but was erratic and shakey, not really watchable(my internet connection is
> fast and the non-free plugin works OK). But now after a few trys
> Youtube does work at all, the flash embedded window is a black area
> that does nothing.

Youtube developers published a NEW version of their player
which uses latest-and-least-supported SWF bytecode (ABC).
Gnash isn't ready for that yet.
Consider complaining with youtube. Might help.

> Is there anything I can do to fix? The non-free is not installed.

Of course you can help with gnash development if you know C/C++.
You might also help testing it if you know how ActionScript/SWF.
Finally you could help with campaigning for an open web (ie:
keep the web sites usable with free software) or fundraising.

--strk;

 Free GIS & Flash consultant/developer      ()  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 http://foo.keybit.net/~strk/services.html  /\  Keep it simple!