gnats-prs

gnats/669: Re: gnats/669: Re: gnats/669: missing @XXX@ keyword substitut

From: bug-gnats
Subject: gnats/669: Re: gnats/669: Re: gnats/669: missing @XXX@ keyword substitutions in do_subst
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 14:35:01 -0500 (CDT)

The following reply was made to PR gnats/669; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Stephane Chazelas <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Cc: address@hidden
Subject: Re: gnats/669: Re: gnats/669: missing @XXX@ keyword substitutions in
do_subst
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 20:27:12 +0100

 On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 01:55:01PM -0500, address@hidden wrote:
 > The following reply was made to PR gnats/669; it has been noted by GNATS.
 >
 > From: Chad Walstrom <address@hidden>
 > To: address@hidden
 > Subject: Re: gnats/669: missing @XXX@ keyword substitutions in do_subst
 > Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 13:46:05 -0500
 >
 >  I think I am making things more complicated than they need to be.  We
 >  have two types of file substitutions going on here.  One that would
 >  benefit from the powers of autoconf (for example, the ECHO_N/ECHO_C
 >  substitution), and one that can only work AFTER variable expansion
 >  (dbconfig and databases files).
 >
 >  So, we keep the do_subst macro in common.am, strip it down to only
 >  those variables necessary for files that must have values after
 >  variable expansion.  We then dump the rest into the autoconf process.
 >  That does mean we need to include all of the path-like variables
 >  within each shell script that might use one or two of them.
 >
 >  For example, for $bindir to work, we may also need $prefix and
 >  $exec_prefix, especially if the person configuring the software
 >  specifies the $bindir as ${prefix} rather than spelling it out.
 >
 >  This only works for shell scripts, though.  If we ever need to expand
 >  paths w/in other source code, we may need to add to the do_subst
 >  procedure or rely upon DEFS.
 [...]

 Hi Chad,

 sorry I didn't follow up on that, I went busy on other things.

 The problem is that there is, IIRC the dbconfig template that
 has the libexecdir included and '$eprefix/libexec' doesn't work
 there.

 --
 Stephane