gnewsense-art

Re: [gNewSense-art] Re-Licensing Artwork.

From: r. siddharth
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-art] Re-Licensing Artwork.
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 21:59:37 +0530

Do I have to list the images used in the Documentation in the Artwork
List at the RelicensingArtwork[1] wiki. Hitherto, under the assumption
that the images used in the Documentation are not "Artistic", I have
ignored to list them in the wiki. I'll have track (and thus list)
these images in the Documentation, if it is required.

Sam Geeraerts wrote:

If I remember correctly, I contacted Brett at the time because I was
unsure about how we put the "real" artwork on the wiki, but also because
I noticed some non-artwork wiki pages with images that are (or could be
mistaken for) artwork. Any references I had about that got lost when my
disk crashed.

So, should I list the images that are part of Documentation separately from those that purely qualify as "artwork" or just leave them alone and not list them in the RelicensingArtwork wiki ?

Here is how I conceive the difference :

--> If the media is used inside a Documentation, then it is necessary
functional (in most of the cases).

--> The media is artistic, if it qualifies to be used to "frill" the
operating system.

Artwork is often released once, under one license, and then goes on to
be enthousiastically reused by others in different contexts. Whether
that use is functional or artistic doesn't change the original license
(unless it's by the copyright holder and we can assume implicit
additional licensing). E.g. person A makes a (CC-BY-SA) background for
gNS and person B writes a (GFDL) tutorial with pictures about how to
recreate that background.

Legal issues are always subtle and hard to clearly understand, the more I try to simplify, more complex it becomes, quite paradoxical.

I thank you.
--
rsiddharth
http://rsiddharth.ninth.su/