[Gnewsense-dev] using boot.cfg on fuloong mini box 2e

From: Giuseppe Sacco
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] using boot.cfg on fuloong mini box 2e
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 07:38:04 +0100

Hi all,
actually I am using kernel 2.6.23-1-loongson2e-64 with initrd. My
problem is that every time I boot the machine, I have to type long
commands "initrd ..." the "load ...." then "g ...".

I would like to make it automatically. I browsed the web looking for
information and I found that pmon may use a boot.cfg file, so I
installed the pmon-tools package and let update-pmon create
my /boot/boot.cfg and create a link from /boot.cfg to this file.

The boot.cfg seems correct, but I *never* found complete documentation
about this file format. All examples I found never show the initrd
parameter. This is my file (without comments):

========= start /boot/boot.cfg =======================================
default 0
showmenu 1
timeout 10

title           RAYS for loongson (2.6.28-fulong2e)
 kernel         /dev/fs/address@hidden/boot/vmlinux-2.6.28-fulong2e
 args           console=tty root=/dev/hda1 ro video=radeonfb:1024x768 vga=791
idebus=66 ide0=ata66 ide_core.ignore_cable=0 splash quiet
title          RAYS for loongson (2.6.23-1-loongson2e-64)
 kernel
/dev/fs/address@hidden/boot/vmlinux-2.6.23-1-loongson2e-64
 args          console=tty root=/dev/hda1 ro video=radeonfb:1024x768 vga=791
idebus=66 ide0=ata66 ide_core.ignore_cable=0 splash quiet initrd
/dev/fs/address@hidden/boot/initrd.img-2.6.23-1-loongson2e-64
========= end /boot/boot.cfg =======================================

now, when I boot the machine, I see no "ShowBootMenu" variable, so the
boot.cfg should be used, but it's not: when I power on the machine, then
pmon tries to load the kernel specified in the variable "al" and the
kernel crashes since no initrd image has been loaded.

According to what is available at
http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Projects/gNewSenseToMIPS, I think I have the
wrong pmon2000, since I am missing two commands: "path" and "dir". I am
not really sure about this, since both commands are used in examples
related to 8089 hardware.

When I issue the command "vers" at the "PMON>" prompt, I get
PMON2000 2.1 bonito #405.

Anyone may help?

Thanks,
Giuseppe