Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Yeeloong arrived, let's hack

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Yeeloong arrived, let's hack
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 02:11:52 +0100

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 01:58:19AM +0100, avr wrote:

> > You're actually porting Ubuntu to MIPS?  I assume you're aware that porting
> > huge codebase to an architecture it didn't support before requires a
> > significant amount of QA.
>
> I'm using glibc, gcc and binutils from debian, which makes most of the pain
> go away. And
> most of the software did actually support the architecture when it was still
> in debian. So
> the only problematic packages will be those where careless ubuntu patches
> break stuff
> specifically for mipsel. So far I've compiled 100's of them with very few
> problems.

Yeah, but compiling is one thing and running is another.  I've seen runtime
portability bugs that render a package completely unusable live for several
years, and even make their way to stable releases, and that is on Debian
which supposedly has lots of people testing the code.

What I mean to say is that even if fixing bugs might be easy for a skilled
developer, finding them can be a real PITA when you don't have millions of
people testing everything in day-to-day usage.

--
Robert Millan