Re: [Gnewsense-dev] How to get involved

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] How to get involved
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 17:00:30 +1030

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 16:19:05 +0100
Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> wrote:

> Federico Gimenez Nieto schreef:
> > Hi all,

Hi,
Sam was pretty through in his reply, so I'll probably just add some more
gloss.
I've trimmed bits as I went through the email.

> > I am new to the distribution and want to offer my collaboration as
> > programmer (or whatever :)). I have experience in web systems, some
> > base knowledge in C, perl and shell and am eager to learn.

Great to see you, I hope we can find a project or two for you to play
on!

> > Federico
> >

> Hi Federico,

> For a broad overview of stuff to help with, see [1].

Also CurrentProjects, but that and [1] probably both need to be
revised.

>  From looking at your skill set I have the following suggestions:
>
> * Web stuff:
> - Work on PmWiki: we have some issues with it, e.g. [2]
> - If you have any experience with PHP and UTF-8, see [3]

Contacting the 'web team' would also be good, if you take an interest
in either of these projects, or simply feel like getting involved with
web stuff.

> * Bash:
> - Builder [6] might still need some work; [7] looks like low hanging
> fruit.

A build system always requires work :) As Sam said, 223 would be
reasonably simple intro.
If you want to work on anything more in depth with builder, its probably
worth grabbing me on IRC [1]

> These are just some suggestions. You can also:
> - Look through our bugs to see if you can pick anything up.
> - Look through our wiki.

Feel free to do some work in it, esp when it comes to documenting
things in the project that need more explaining.

> - Monitor the users and/or dev mailing lists to see if you can fix
> anyone's annoyances.
> - Fix the stuff that you are annoyed by yourself.
> - Give feedback to other people.
> - Learn packaging and provide missing packages (e.g. from multiverse).
> - ... and so on.

And work with upstreams to try and get rid of any serious nastys you
can (Not sure if we have any of those bugs at the moment of the top
of my head).

> [1] http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Main/HowToHelp
> [2] http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00247
> [3]
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnewsense-users/2009-02/msg00029.html

> [6] http://www.gnewsense.org/Builder/Builder
> [7] http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00223

[1] I'm around as Kamping_Kaiser or kgoetz usually, in #gnewsense and
#gnewsense-dev .
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)