Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Coreboot on the next hw from Lemote?

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Coreboot on the next hw from Lemote?
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 11:00:57 +1030

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 10:58:50 +0100
Graziano Sorbaioli <address@hidden> wrote:

> Karl Goetz ha scritto:
> > On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 14:33:31 +0100
> > address@hidden wrote:
> >
> >> Will the successor of the Yeeloong (it should run a multicore cpu)
> >> boot from the free Coreboot bios (
> >> http://coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2008-January/029133.html )...
> >> and the next free laptop ship with Coreboot+ gNewsense?
> >
> > That would be pretty funky. I'd still prefer OpenFirmware, but IIRC
> > Coreboot can be used to load OF, so all may not be lost :)
>
> You are not the first one to think like this. I heard it before.
>
> Could you explain me why?
>
> I am interested to know what advantages OpenFirmware has.

Guess different people have different reasons, but some that spring to
mind are:
- its been around "forever"
- its well documented
- has a lot of handy features for hardware support (that sadly are not
used on current hardware)
- free software
- portable (sparc/powerpc/x86 are the arches I've used it on)
- (from what I've seen) has all major features of PMON

kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
Debian user / gNewSense contributor