Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: Thunderbird recommending non-free software

From: David Sterry
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: Thunderbird recommending non-free software
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 09:30:32 -0700

Yavor Doganov wrote:
Graziano Sorbaioli wrote:
Maybe we should have someone doing a libre gnu thunderbird software just
as there is a libre gnu firefox one.

GNU mail? :)

That would be confused with GNUMail [1], the GNUstep MUA.  Plus, there
alrady is GNU mail, GNU's implementation of the standard mail program
(from mailutils).

IceCrow, IceRooster or some other Ice$BIRD in the true spirit of the
"iceweaselization", maybe...
It seems to me Ice was an opposite to Fire and Weasel and Cat are alternate animal names. The corresponding IceCatination would be to use the opposite of thunder and a different very general name like bird for example Silentfish or Mutehorse or Peacepig. Or we could try to make it sound cooler than Thunderbird and abandon this kind of mimicry altogether.

Of course it should probably be up to the person who does the actual coding to choose the name rather than the rest of us in the peanut gallery.

-David Sterry (weex)