Re: [Gnewsense-dev] c

From: avr
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] c
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 17:22:25 +0200

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 02:00:23PM +0100, Oliver Heard wrote:

> Additionally the Lemote Yeeloong netbooks come with fully free
> software (including BIOS), reports from users in #gnewsense-dev on
> freenode have been somewhat positive. The machines use a MIPS
> processor, rather than x86/x86_64, gNewSense should run on this arch
> in the future (I think it is being actively worked on, but don't take
> my word for it).

Actually it works right now thanks to (mainly) Robert Millan's amazing
efforts. It's also a pleasure to work on because of the keyboard. Cons
for getting one might be:

-availability
-wifi

The wireless driver is not the very best and might have limited range
(mine only goes up to about 8 meters), but this might change as the driver
matures over time.

Reasons for getting one is that gNewSense officially supports it (through the
mips-l project) , and the gNewSense community has (relatively speaking) a lot
of users of this architecture.

        friendly,
        Andreas