Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Yeeloong wireless issue dissected

From: Wu Zhangjin
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Yeeloong wireless issue dissected
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 22:53:50 +0800

Hi,

On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 11:40 +0000, Frederique W. Piccart wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 10:28:46 +0800, fxzhang <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Wifi is not enabled by default because it consumes significant power and
> > is not always used.

[...]
> In my opinion, it should still respect and remember the last used Fn + F5
> state.

We can do it in kernel space, but this is a mechanism & strategy
problem, it is not possible to cover all of strategies to meet the
different requirements in kernel space, however we can provide the basic
mechanism(interface?) there.

So, I will not touch the kernel driver again, but just keep the
strategies into user-space, the user-space tool should provide a
suitable method to user to do that job. if there is no such tool, we
need to improve the exisiting ones, otherwise, use our own tricks:

for example, if we want to remember the last used Fn + F5 state, record
it before shutting down, and resume it when booting.

and the current rfkill subdriver helps to manage the RF of wifi, it only
provide the basic mechanism for us to initialize the default states of
the devices.

one interface:

echo 1|0 > /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill<N>/state

another interface:

modprobe rfkill default_state=1|0

Regards,
        Wu Zhangjin