Re: [Gnewsense-dev] metad beta1 released

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] metad beta1 released
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 22:58:48 +0100

Robert Millan schreef:
Hi,

metad beta1 is released, now for i386 and amd64 as well as mipsel:

  http://archive.gnewsense.org/gnewsense-metad/installer/3.0~beta1/

This beta release is very preliminar and not intended to be heavily publicised.
It is only intended for members of the gNewSense community to help testing it.

I made my partition bigger and did a proper Base+Laptop+Desktop (tasksel) i386 installation (text installer). There were some weird things going on at first boot, but things were better at subsequent boots. I'll do another install tomorrow to investigate better.

My basic use test was to just see if every entry in the Gnome menus starts properly. My findings:

- Gnash SWF viewer doesn't do anything. It doesn't do anything in deltah either, so I guess this is normal. - Applications -> System Tools -> New Login in a Window pops up a window "Cannot start new display. The X server failed. Perhaps it is not configured well." - System -> Admin -> Network pops up a window "Unsupported platform" in which you can choose a platform. I chose Debian Lenny and all seemed fine.
- System -> Admin -> Users and Groups: same thing
- System -> Admin -> Partition Editor says "Cannot mount volume" once, but I've seen it say that before, so I'm not to worried about it. - System -> Admin -> Software Sources doesn't start. We'll probably need some files for gNS in /usr/share/python-apt/templates/.
- System -> Admin -> Update Manager: same thing.
- Log out -> Switch user => gdm on console 9 -> log in => it switches back to (now locked) console 7 with first X session, the X session on console 9 is gone again.

Other applications all seemed to work OK. Sound works, as do apt-get en aptitude. I didn't test suspend or hibernate.