[Gnewsense-dev] Re: metad beta1 - amd64 macbook pro

From: Jason Self
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: metad beta1 - amd64 macbook pro
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 22:31:22 -0800

Daniel Clark wrote:

> Isn't Apple hardware "special" in this regard?

> e.g. http://refit.sourceforge.net/

> http://wiki.debian.org/MacBook#Debianinstallation looks like the doc you
> want. It says EFI is only starting to be supported directly in squeeze,
> so it certainly wouldn't work "out of the box" on metad 3, where
> upstream is lenny.

Time for some updates.

I saw mentioned in this thread that there's an effort to support EFI, and
that's great, but not necessarily as important as it once was. While Apple does
make use of EFI, rEFIt really isn't needed these days either. The primary
reason that everything is so easier in the today's world is that Apple firmware
versions contain (surprise!) a BIOS compatibility mode. This make everything
/significantly/ easier.

Here's something I put together for installing Debian on a Mac Mini. It should
also be valid for any Intel-based Mac, and should also apply to gNewSense since
it's now going to be based on Debian.

http://wiki.debian.org/MacMiniIntel