[Gnewsense-dev] Re: Important bug reports

From: Daniel Clark
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: Important bug reports
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 09:17:15 -0500

address@hidden wrote:
> Quoting Richard Stallman <address@hidden>:
>
>> GNU manuals rejected by Debian are still missing from gNewSense.
>> This is not just a problem for users, it is an embarrassment.
>>
>> Do people have a plan for how to fix this?
>> If not, let's make one.
>>
>> The easiest way is to package all these manuals as a single
>> package.
>
> I created a page at
> http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Projects/DocRemovedFromDebian. I want to help
> adding those packages into gNewSense. I'm thinking about adding a new
> file in Builder for downloading related packages from debian.

I think the "right" way of doing this would be to alter the Debian
source packaging to not exclude / build the GFDL licensed doc, and then
rebuild the packages. That way info would work properly.

However for a short-term solution we could just do as RMS suggests, just
bundling up a lot of .html GFDL doc in say /usr/share/doc/GNU-doc and
then make it a .deb with epm [1] or something like that (along with a
README.gNewSense file that explains the problem / has a link to the ticket).

Just gathering the appropriate versions of all of the doc together would
be most of the work and something that could be done by pretty much
anyone; if someone can do that I can do / tell you how to do the ugly
packaging.

[1] http://www.epmhome.org/

Cheers,
--
Daniel JB Clark   | Sys Admin, Free Software Foundation
pobox.com/~dclark | http://www.fsf.org/about/staff#danny