[Gnewsense-dev] Re: Bug in hibernate

From: Daniel Clark
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: Bug in hibernate
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 08:23:58 -0500

Richard Stallman wrote:
> Hibernate fails to display the progress in saving memory to disk.
> Instead it blanks the screen.

Didn't we figure out this is just because we uncomment this line in
/etc/sysctl.conf on your box (not the default gNewSense configuration):

#kernel.printk = 4 4 1 7

So the virtual terminal are usable on the yeeloong, and an unfortunate
side-effect is that the hibernate to disk process is also not shown?

As I recall the fix we agreed would be best would be to have the
rtl8187b driver not do printks for operations the user does not
initiate, as it is the main reason the above change is needed.

The rtl8187b driver spews lots of crap to the console virtual terminals
on a regular basis, namely:
rtl8187: IPSEnter(): Turn off RF.
rtl8187: ISLeave(): Turn on RF.
rtl8187: Now Radio OFF!
rtl8187: Now Radio ON!

I think there is also a way to make hibernate show a graphical progress
meter that wouldn't be hidden by the "kernel.printk = 4 4 1 7", but I'm
unable to find good doc on that at the moment.

--
Daniel JB Clark   | Sys Admin, Free Software Foundation
pobox.com/~dclark | http://www.fsf.org/about/staff#danny