Re: [Gnewsense-dev] gNS mipsel - package xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotio

From: Wu Zhangjin
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] gNS mipsel - package xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion xserver instability
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 11:12:48 +0800

On Wed, 2010-01-13 at 03:06 +0200, Niklas Cholmkvist wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I install the package xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion and later
> reboot my computer the xserver refuses to start. Currently I have this
> package uninstalled, although I want to install it but disable the
> drivers so it doesn't crash. This to help me understand more about
> where the problem lies.(from an educational point of view)

I think you can not use the siliconmotion driver in the git repo(If the
maintainers did not fix the bug of xorg-server), If you really want to
use it, this is a how-to document.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.heihaier.org%2F
%3Fp%3D1031&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

The original article is in Chinese:

http://www.heihaier.org/?p=1031

If you don't want to touch the xorg-server, perhaps you can use
xserver-xorg-video-fbdev instead, the performance is not that bad, in
reality, I can not get any obvious performance reduce from the
sliconmotion one although not test it by an extra tool.

> Does anyone have this package installed while xserver doesn't crash or
> even provides some form of 2d acceleration enhancement?

I'm using debian 6.0 with the silicon driver and the fixed xorg-server,
no crash but not sure whether it provide the 2d acceleration.

> Note: Is it ok to post such an issue as this to the dev list? Is it ok
> that such a message as this be posted on this list or would it be
> better to post it on the gnewsense-users list?

It should be okay for you are reporting a bug ;)

Regards,
        Wu Zhangjin