[Gnewsense-dev] Re: Selecting network-manager or wicd

From: Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix -
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: Selecting network-manager or wicd
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 09:32:20 +0000

Karl Goetz wrote:
It boils down to something like this:
network manager is integrated into lots of applications. does wicd work
with them? does it break them or 'just' not provide extra features? I'm
 /not/ qualified to make the call about nm/wicd. I've used neither
recently, and I don't experience the use cases that make the differences
relevant.
I need feedback from a dozen people (5 would do, but a dozen
would be better. More is better.) saying how their daily work does or
does not improve using one over the other
kk

I have had it work well with atheros hardware.

However the question I have is what is the discussion on the Debian mailing lists. Does it have the legs to keep going?

It appears to have 84 bugs on its current sourceforge page, some of which should have been closed with "Won't fix" imo.
From that place two bugs interested me.
There is a suggestion there that it does not work in cli mode.
It is not great when the signal strength is low it fails rather than being low speed.

All this and more needs to be taken into consideration before a commit is made. Remember the deltas I mentioned recently, well this would be one of them!

P.