[Gnewsense-dev] Re: Tying together the network-manager work

From: Daniel Clark
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: Tying together the network-manager work
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 04:14:06 -0500

Karl Goetz wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 17:02:15 -0500
> Brett Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I just did a fresh install of metad on a Yeeloong to make sure I was
>> right about where things stood as far as fixing the bugs that seem to
>> be high-priority and things like that.
>>
>> One thing that surprised me is that the machine did not install
>> network-manager 0.7 -- even after explicitly updating and trying to
>> dist-upgrade.  (/etc/network/interfaces still listed eth0, too, but
>> maybe that's a side effect of the bigger problem.)
>
> Its a bug. For example:
> https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?28753

I think what Brett is running into is probably 0.7.2 packages / index
being borked in the archives - at least that was the case last week on
rms' machine (I still have no yeeloong, but hopefully will have a ETA
for a crapload of hardware - 25 yeeloongs, 10 fuloongs - early this week
 when people at Lemote get back from Spring Festival).

0.7.1 works fine on rms' box; the bugs I've seen against it are people
either not fixing the names of their ethernet adapters, or not removing
entries for everything but the loopback device in
/etc/network/interfaces (its possible this is broken on install and
should be fixed in yeeloong-base or something, but it's also trivial to
fix manually.)

Brett - were you seeing something like this?

W: Failed to fetch
http://us.archive.gnewsense.org/gnewsense-metad/gnewsense/pool/overlays/buildd/libnm-util1_0.7.2-2~bpo50+1_mipsel.deb
  Size mismatch

W: Failed to fetch
http://us.archive.gnewsense.org/gnewsense-metad/gnewsense/pool/overlays/buildd/libnm-glib-vpn0_0.7.2-2~bpo50+1_mipsel.deb
  Size mismatch

W: Failed to fetch
http://us.archive.gnewsense.org/gnewsense-metad/gnewsense/pool/overlays/buildd/libnm-glib0_0.7.2-2~bpo50+1_mipsel.deb
  Size mismatch

W: Failed to fetch
http://us.archive.gnewsense.org/gnewsense-metad/gnewsense/pool/overlays/buildd/network-manager_0.7.2-2~bpo50+1_mipsel.deb
  Size mismatch

W: Failed to fetch
http://us.archive.gnewsense.org/gnewsense-metad/gnewsense/pool/overlays/buildd/network-manager-dev_0.7.2-2~bpo50+1_mipsel.deb
  Size mismatch

>> I'm not sure if I should file a bug about this because I'm not sure
>> it's really a bug -- am I supposed to have an additional repository in
>> sources.list to get this going?

The previously mentioned 0.7.1 is up at
http://config.fsf.org/packages/dists/gnewsense-metad/network-manager/ -
see previous thread for the sources.list entry for that.

--
Daniel JB Clark | http://pobox.com/~dclark