[Gnewsense-dev] Re: [bug #28597] TeX is missing

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: [bug #28597] TeX is missing
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 22:31:38 +0100

Richard Stallman schreef:
I am sure there is a real problem with the Debian packages that make this
necessary.  But just eliminating those packages is not much of a fix.
TeX is needed for formatting GNU documentation.  It is vital for gNewSense
to include a usable copy of TeX.  So if the Debian packages can't be used,
we need other packages to replace them.

Are people working on supplying valid TeX packages?

(Moving discussion to our development list.)

As I understand it, cutting out the non-free part (ams-latex) would make TeX a lot less usable in general. I don't know if that part is also required for the GNU documentation. As it's a core part of TeX, cutting it out without breaking the rest is rather difficult. We have nobody on the team who knows how to do that.

The issue is that ams-latex was released under a non-free license, but that was not intentional. We've been in contact with AMS (the copyright holders of ams-latex) about a license change. They agreed to adopt the LaTeX Project Public License for future version. We asked if older versions could be retroactively dual-licensed somehow, but didn't get a response to that (yet).