Re: [Gnewsense-dev] 2.6.36-libre-lemote

From: Michał Masłowski
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] 2.6.36-libre-lemote
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 09:47:56 +0100

> I just updated my yeeloong kernel to 2.6.36-libre-lemote through the
> linux-libre repository. Now after the gnewsense splash screen it says
> "waiting for root filesystem", booting fails and i get thrown to initramfs
> with the following error: udevd[437]: udev_event_run: fork of child failed:
> Funtion not implemented. I changed hda to sda as directed in this post
> http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg00033.html. Any ideas on how to
> boot from here?

I don't use initrd (it is slow, and I don't need the second splash
screen) and didn't change hda to sda (it is still listed as hda,
diffing kernel configuration didn't show any related changes).

The udev errors were also listed, but they didn't stop booting.  udev
requires specific kernel interfaces which sometimes change, and updating
it could be needed to use 2.6.36 (or changing kernel configuration).

Since X didn't work with 2.6.36 (missing device files?), I edited the
bootloader configuration to use 2.6.35.7 instead.  You can choose
another kernel in PMON or Grub interactively, the commands for PMON are
just like the ones for installing gNS, and for Grub they are the ones
for the menu entry used with different file names.