Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Fwd: Website issue

From: Paul Boddie
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Fwd: Website issue
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 14:59:14 +0200

On Tuesday 6. September 2016 14.23.30 Nandakumar Edamana wrote:
> > Could it be the case
>
> that the VM seems quiet but is really running on an overloaded physical
> machine? I'm just guessing here.
>
> Do you think this page [1] can load lightning fast in such a situation
> also? [1] http://gnewsense.org/itworks.html

I'm only really speculating here, but I could imagine a Web server serving a
static file to be a "fast path" that doesn't demand significantly more
resources suddenly, whereas even MoinMoin reaching into its cache and
producing cached pages could cause some kind of resource contention on an
overloaded physical machine.

I guess external measurements might identify some problems. If the Web site
were visited more frequently, maybe the data being served up would be more
likely to be resident in disk caches or RAM and would therefore get served
more quickly. But the definitive knowledge of how frequently the site gets
visited is in the server logs, so we'd still need server-resident information.

Anyway, I'm not sure I have much more to say on the topic. I'm sure Sam has
the matter under control.

Paul