gnewsense-users

[gNewSense-users] vrms

From: Vim Visual
Subject: [gNewSense-users] vrms
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 23:13:03 +0100

Hi,

there are a couple of things I don't understand

1- why is the kernel 2.6.15? (is 2.6.18.2 by now)
2- why not having the latest vim (7.0)?
3- OpenOffice is also a bit outdated and many other packages

A package I would include per default is vrms. It's the perfect tool
to find ou how many packages are free or not in your box (Virtual
Richard M Stallman)

I would suggest that the project includes it and that it is launched
automatically from time to time as a kind of pop-up window (with the
option "i don't want any notifications in the future" vailable, not to
annoy people)

Also there should be an easy-to-find docummentation for n00bs (say, an
icon on the desktop to an internal html page) to explain them what the
"freedom alternatives" are:

ogg (vorbis/theora)-- mp3, mpg, avi
odt                      -- doc

etc... you get the idea

and a link to the FSF, so that more people register (and pay)

BTW I am using ubuntu right now and vrms says:

26 non-free packages, 1.6% of 1634 installed packages.

Bluntly speaking, this is a 1.6% dirty GNU/Linux OS

Shame on IT people of my Institute...