gnewsense-users

Re: [gNewSense-users] IMPORTANT: Formating error with the fmt.sh script

From: Bake Timmons
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] IMPORTANT: Formating error with the fmt.sh script & Problems with the kpvtab.py
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 08:53:30 -0400

> If everybody agrees with what the script contain, I'll upload it with
> the license file. Furthermore, I want to answer the comment of Marco
> concerning reformatting of already checked sections. I think we should
> reformat all we've already checked now, because there's already an

Good call!

> The script will transform those names in 'linux-2-6-24' and
> linux-2-6-24-8-13'. By making this distinction, we will more
> accurately be able to compare new versions of the kernel files with
> those we already checked.

I like this feature.

After perusing some KFV sections, I noticed markup such as

||[[Hardy-kernel-drivers-dio-Makefile|Makefile]] ...

The script would output an alias of "Ubuntu-hardy-Makefile" instead of
the more readable "Makefile".  It seems that the reader would already be
aware of "Ubuntu-hardy" since is generally visible elsewhere on any page
with a list of files.  Am I missing something?  I feel obliged to
mention usability issues for those rare times I consider them. :)

In any case, if we are to have a *consistent look* on web pages,
reformatting some aliases is unavoidable.  While consistency can be
overstressed, I think it serves to inspire confidence in a
*verification* project.  Luckily, since this is just a cosmetic issue,
it is easily scriptable (e.g., wget can post an updated wiki page).