gnewsense-users

Re: [gNewSense-users] Web Forum: Do it or Remove it

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Web Forum: Do it or Remove it
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:22:31 +0930

On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 01:13 -0700, Brian Greer wrote:
> Ali Gunduz wrote:
> > Yes, it's me and the topic is the gNewSense web forum, again :-)
> > Though, I'm not rallying for an Enhanced Mega Ultra Forum 3000 this
> > time, but I'd like to draw your attention for a more basic issue.
>
> I share your frustrations, and would like to see a web forum come to
> fruition, but I have to ask myself some hypothetical questions since
> a web-forum would become hugely visible and cached by search engines.

well... could be. having a forum doesnt automatically mean it'll be
indexed :)

> 1) How would the forum handle the political education to newcomers?
>   Would we just point questions to existing stickies, wiki's, or the
> FSF pages directly to ensure correctness?  Or would there be a
> subforum to deal with this information that would be largely
> redundant?  Would there be the need for moderators skilled in
> diplomacy to handle the inevitable errors with tact to put our best
> foot forward?  *I* certainly don't have enough knowledge to answer
> all the questions correctly.

I will admit - tact isnt one of my key features, but i dont see it as a
requirement to maintain things 'how they should be'.

> 2) What code-of-conduct would we follow?  Would following Ubuntu's
> COC be sufficient, or something else?  I think it would be tempting
> for some to think that just anyone posting in the forum is a
> qualified FSF spokesman.

We have http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Main/CommunityGuidelines - were you
thinking something else?

> 3) How would we handle posts that link to non-free repositories, or
> other ways that dilute the purpose of gNewSense?  I could see that
> issue becoming a pandora's box.

aiui linking isnt the problem - promoting is.
the promoting non-free software is 'covered' by our community
guidelines, fwiw.
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)