gnewsense-users

Re: [gNewSense-users] Burned by Add / Remove with delta-h. Sources hosed

From: Brian Greer
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Burned by Add / Remove with delta-h. Sources hosed now.
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 12:19:25 -0700

Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix - wrote:
(A) this is gnewsense not some other distro so their repos most likely will bring non free things
(B) they suggest you don't randomly add repos
(C) you are on the gNS mailing list, therefore you should not be suggesting non free software - that is why we have issues with a certain browser, nothing to do with their trademark - and to make the point clearer let me add --

I only performed this test to point out that the capability to add Ubuntu third-party repos from from within gNewSense itself is just a few mouse-clicks away. I am not promoting the use of third-party repos, just bringing it to the forefront as a problem with gNewSense that needs dealing with at some point. I'd deal with it now - unfortunately I'm not a programmer, but I believe it is a hole that should be closed.

I support a few gNewSense machines for friends and family, and even though I try to educate them about free software, I don't want them to be tempted by discovering this easily mouse-clickable capability when they go exploring the system on their own. If it were me, I'd remove add/remove completely and rely solely on synaptic or apt-get until the hole is closed.

If I wanted to promote non-free software, I certainly wouldn't use gNewSense as a base to add third party repos to -- It doesn't make sense. Had I wanted to promote open-source, rather than free software, I would have installed Ubuntu for them.

Fortunately, on my last trips to them, I hid add/remove so they wouldn't be tempted to go exploring on it their own, and possibly fall into the trap.