gnewsense-users

Re: [gNewSense-users] RMS about GLX

From: Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix -
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] RMS about GLX
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 18:35:58 +0000

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
Jorge Benavides Escobillana wrote:
        A year ago we discovered non-free code in OpenGL, but some
        months ago we convinced the developer to liberate it.

It is my understanding that SGI has liberated the code under the SGI
Free Software License B (including third-party code, since SGI had
unlimited authority to revise the license).  However, the GLX Public
License is still non-free (https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+bug/6765).

Does it mean that gNewSense can now restore the removed GLX code?

Not the parts under the GLX Public License.  And I don't think (but I'm
not sure on this) it will work without those components.

GLX was removed from gNewSense.
GLX has had the licence freed by most of its contributors, but not all.
SGI were not the only ones to release the code with the licence that made it Non Free. (See bugs and archives for more detail.)

When it is fully free it will be brought back in.

(I am lead to believe that this will be soon.)

Brian and I don't do leadership in a fish bowl to quote a rather clever chap. This means that we don't decide in public, we work out what we need to decide and then act upon it.
We may even take advice, and that can take days or even longer to get.

Can someone point to this mail from the wiki as the "current state of play".

This is the authoritative gNewSense position, until either I am convinced otherwise, or the licence is changed in accordance with the requirement for freedom.

Regards,
Paul