gnewsense-users

Re: [gNewSense-users] gNewSense Wikipedia

From: Eric Morey
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] gNewSense Wikipedia
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 07:16:24 +0000

On Sun, 2009-05-17 at 23:24 -0400, Nicodemo Alvaro wrote:
> Graziano pointed out that the gNewSense Wikipedia page may have some
> unwanted edits.
>

> "It tries to maintain the user-friendliness but with most non-free
> software and binary blobs removed"

Are there any known binary blobs in the gNS kernel? I think it is
misleading as currently written either way.

Possible rewrite: "It tries to maintain the user-friendliness while
removing any known non-free parts as defined by the Free Software
Foundation"

> "gNewSense takes a relatively strict stance against non-free software."

I don't see anything wrong with the use of "relatively" over "very". I
actually prefer it.

> There is a section called "Limitations", which may hint that removing
> blobs for the sake of freedom is less satisfactory.

It is clear that by using all free software and following the gNS
community guidelines, one limits the functionality of software to
certain hardware. In return, however, one gains more freedom over the
hardware that will work with gNS. Some may find this an unsatisfactory
trade. They are free to use other hardware to the extent that the
manufacturer(s) will permit.