gnewsense-users

[gNewSense-users] Huawei E169 modem with Mobile Partner

From: Brian Kemp
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Huawei E169 modem with Mobile Partner
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 10:54:36 -0400

Hello Martin.

Supposedly this modem works under "Linux"[0] but that doesn't mean it
will work with gNewSense.

Can you attach the output of dmesg (/var/log/dmesg; also available
from the command "dmesg") and send it to us?

I believe this modem may require a non-Free driver or firmware--if so
it won't work in gNewSense. (If that's the case, you will have to try
another operating system or another device. That is outside the scope
of this mailing list.)

Have you talked to the manufacturer / wireless provider about this?
Some providers will actually have some way to provide Linux support. I
am not sure about the firmware, though.

[0] A quick google search led me to a blog that claims it works if one
compiles a driver from source (somewhat tricky at times). The
screenshots had known non-Free software installed. This leads me to
believe that the blog writer only cared about getting his/her system
to work, not work with solely Free Software.

--BK