gnewsense-users

[gNewSense-users] Samsung YP-U3J

From: Brian Kemp
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Samsung YP-U3J
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 19:29:02 -0400

Graziano Sorbaioli writes:
> > I'm in a small dilemma. I want to have an affordable (hardware) ogg
> > vorbis music player.
> Samsung YP-U3J.
> 1Gb white usb key with blue display.
> It can read ogg vorbis and mp3.

Aah, someone suggests the other player I purchased. (Also can be 2GB.)

Unfortunately, in the United States, the firmware loaded on the device
requires use of MTP, which has nascent support at the time that
gNewSense was released. (I believe Rhythmbox has a plugin.)

The "world" firmware allows for USB Mass Storage connections. The
procedure for changing the firmware involves leaked Samsung tools and
proprietary operating systems; the Mass Storage firmware latest version
is always 1 below the MTP version (1.12 vs 1.13), presumably to keep
users from doing this very thing. My guess it's some misguided copyright
infringement prevention or due to Microsoft DRM support.

The Vorbis support also is known to not like very high or very low
bit-rates.

The manufacturer was unhelpful when I asked about GNU/Linux support.

Stay away.

BK