gnewsense-users

Re: [gNewSense-users] wireless on lemote metad

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] wireless on lemote metad
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 22:41:22 +0100

Karl Goetz schreef:
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 17:52:12 -0500
Quiliro Ordóñez <address@hidden> wrote:

2010/1/29 Karl Goetz <address@hidden>:
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 21:40:46 -0500
Quiliro Ordóñez <address@hidden> wrote:

I can't use my wireless. The module rtl8187b is loaded and I can
see wlan0 but it does not see any network with scan on iwlist.

Whats changed recently? check dmesg, I noticed my wifi was getting
renamed to wlan1 (reason unknown).
It's a brand new installation from
http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Projects/GNewSenseToMIPS

dmesg and syslog give no clues?

I also don't have wifi on my fresh install. I do have it on my old install with the same kernel (.32.4). Module rtl8187b shows up in lsmod output of both, but "Used by" count is 0 in the fresh install and 2 in the old install. wlan0 shows up in both 'iwconfig' and 'ifconfig -a', so it hasn't been renamed. Networkmanager doesn't list any wireless connections. 'iwlist wlan0 scan' (as root) says "wlan0 Failed to read scan data : Operation not permitted". The wifi LED is on all the time. Pressing Fn+F5 doesn't change anything. dmesg shows a few of these:

rtl8187: rtl8187_open process failed because radio off

syslog doesn't show anything strange.