gnewsense-users

[gNewSense-users] [At Boot time] Disk check error.

From: r. siddharth
Subject: [gNewSense-users] [At Boot time] Disk check error.
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 20:01:20 +0530

Howdy,

I am using the present stable version of gNewSense. Periodically the system checks the hard disk for errors at boot time, today when the system checked the disk (sda7) at boot time, it encountered an error - it says "duplicate or bad block in use".

I have attached the log file which has the relevant information about the error - the "checkfs" file in /var/log/fsck

Here is the present situation of my system :

 * I boot, the system performs a hard-disk error check.
 * The error check encounters an error.
 * I am presented with a root shell prompt.
 * I hit "Ctrl+D" to get to gdm log-in prompt.
 * I log-in.
 * The system is fine and I am able to work.
   (I am sending this very mail from gNewSense)

So should I re-format my partition that is failing the hard-disk error check ? I also want to know whether it is fine to use a different program other than the one I used to previously partition my hard-disk ?

I thank you.
--
rsiddharth
http://rsiddharth.ninth.su/