smsd vs. tri-band phones

From: Todd Pinkerton
Subject: smsd vs. tri-band phones
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 09:27:24 -0500

hello again,

so it is my understanding that smsd does not work with the AT driver; that is ,i get a NOT_IMPLEMENTED error and the phone cannot signal when an incoming message is recieved. I'm using a Sony-Ericsson T68i.

Unfortunately i have neither the skill nor the time to implement this feature in the AT driver. As suggested, i tried removing the offending GetSMSStatus() call from the smsd, which did not help.

However, it seems that the phones with native drivers do work with smsd -- such as nokia 6110, 7100, etc. However, being in the US, i would need a tri-band phone. So what i'd like to know is, what is the best, preferred (most features implemented in driver) phone which is also available in a tri-band model? I know many nokias have a european-only model and a tri-band model; do you know if any of the smsd/gnokii drivers work with these phones? Has anyone had success with a similar setup?

-Todd