Re: (OT) Looking for a linux-compatible smartphone.

From: Philippe Andersson
Subject: Re: (OT) Looking for a linux-compatible smartphone.
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:50:03 +0100

Pawel Kot wrote:
Connectivity-wise, I've seen obex mentionned on top of IR or Bluetooth.
Can you use it on top of a serial USB connection as well ? (my laptop
doesn't have bluetooth, and the 7700 also has USB).

Well, I always use bluetooth usb dongle :-).
Any brand you would recommend for its Linux support ?

I belive it works with the
cable but I didn't test it. And I'm a bit afraid you'd have to modify
Linux kernel sources (usb subsystem) to let the cable work.
Hummmm. Fiddling with the kernel wouldn't be my first choice.

Also, do you have any idea about the actual OS those phones run (i.e.
7650 / 7700) ? If Symbian, are there known hooks that we can use ?

I'm almost sure it is Symbian.
Ok. Always better than WinCE. If only Motorola could release their A760 on the european market...

If all else fails, what kind of work would be involved in hacking
support for a new devices like that myself ? (I have some familiarity

There are two ways to do it. Easier one (with the cable) sniff the working
application communication. Other one is try and test approach: you prepare
the frames by hand and see what the phone responses. It may corrupt the
phone if you are not careful.
Ok.

Thanks a lot for all the info.

Cheers. Bye.