Re: (OT) Looking for a linux-compatible smartphone.

From: BORBELY Zoltan
Subject: Re: (OT) Looking for a linux-compatible smartphone.
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 23:47:50 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 09:29:56PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > Currently all code and our focus is on the PC side. It has the
> > disadvantage of the must of reverse engineering of the whole protocol. If
> > we can upload our code to the phone it is much better:
> >  - symbian provides api and libraries to handle communication/file
> > types/etc from the phone side
> >  - we can use some well known protocol (obex?) to communicate
> >  - therefore we avoid the hardest part: decoding the communication
> > protocol and gnokii side should be fairly easy do be done
> >
> > This method allows us to be Nokia independent. The solution should work on
> > all Symbian phones.
>
> Well, you should simply emulate well-known AT commands. If you want
> calendar/etc, syncML should be the way to go.

My first idea was a better AT emulator. In this case there's no need
for a new driver, AT driver should handle it. The drawback of this
idea is that we cannot implement everything unless we add some
non-standard AT commands. Think about profile support or camera
management. My next idea was to emulate a 6510 compatible phone. But
there's a lot of messages which we doesn't know at the moment (e.g.
keypress simulation). I tought about SyncML too. I'm afraid the
level of the SyncML support is quite different between phones and
manufacturers, so there will be things which is supported only some
phones. This is the reason why I think the best idea is to develop
our own protocol, driver and application. The symbian api is quite
powerful, so this solution can offer the best support, e.g.:

    gnokii --takeapicture

Bye,
Bozo