gnokii, Linux and irda

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: gnokii, Linux and irda
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 23:18:27 +0100 (CET)

I have made some tests with Nokia 6210, 6310 and different connections

Testing command was 'gnokii --getphonebook ME 1 end'. It is 500 entries
for both phones. The result is average time from 3 runs rounded to full
seconds.
serial_baudrate and serial_serial_write_usleep were commented out during
all tests. Any combination of these 2 just made things worse.

Tested hardware was irda usb dongle Sigmatel (stir4200 driver, I don't
find it too stable) and bluetake bluetooth adapter. I used FIR mode with
speed limited to 115200bps.

Linux 2.4.21 + ck patchset (Con Kolivas interactivity patches) + mh
patchsed (Marcel Holtmann bluetooth patchset) + stir4200 driver (by Paul
Stewart).

----------------------------------------+---------------+---------------+
Model and connection                    | Avg time      | Max time      |
Nokia 6310      ------------------------+---------------+---------------|
model = AT/connection = bluetooth       | 1min10s       | 1min11s       |
model = 6310/connection = bluetooth     | 24s           | 25s           |
model = AT/connection = serial          | 38s           | 45s           |
model = 6310/connection = dlr3p         | 11s           | 12s           |
model = AT/connection = irda            | -             | -             |
model = 6310/connection = irda          | -             | -             |
Nokia 6210      ------------------------+---------------+---------------|
model = AT/connection = irda            | 3min20s       | 3min47s       |
model = 6210/conection = irda           | 3min17s       | 3min24s       |
model = AT/connection = serial          | 39s           | 39s           |
model = 6210/connection = serial        | 19s           | 19s           |
----------------------------------------+---------------+---------------+

You shouldn't get the results too strictly -- used capacity in both phones
was different. But the tests do show that irda connection really sucks.
I wish I knew where the problem lies but I don't think it is in gnokii.
nk7110 driver uses irda sockets, and at driver uses serial port emulation.

I didn't manage to have 6310 with either configuraion over irda working.
If anyone could do the test I'd appreciate it.

Can anyone confirm that any other software performs much better over
infrared? Last Friday my friend was doing SonyEricsson t65i backup over
irda under XP and it was the hell slow either.

I have almost ready irda support for windows, so I'll try to test it as
well.

regards,
mailto:address@hidden
http://www.gnokii.org/