Re: gnokii into mainstream distributions ?

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: gnokii into mainstream distributions ?
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 22:23:42 +0200

On Wednesday 07 April 2004 15:32, Olivier Kaloudoff wrote:
>       with the growing usage of mobile phones and open source OSes,
> there is a real need for an application to synchronize addressbooks,
> calendars, and other personnal informations.
>
>       KDE has "Kandy" inside, about which I don't know much.
> Does it support Bluetooth, does it support Nokia, Ericsson, Siemens
> phones ? I don't know;

Kandy is the old tool. I never managed to run it. As the response to Kandy,
Knokiisync was created. It is quite powerfull and works fine for me. With
KDE 3.2, there comes a possibility to build it with libgnokii enabled. In such
case you are able to synchronize your addressbook (perhaps with calendar
also) using only native KDE tools. I think noone ships KDE with libgnokii
enabled though and I have never tried it.

>       would it be hard to have gnokii / xgnokii integrated into
> Debian, Fedora, Mandrake ?

Gnokii and xgnokii is already in Debian. It is also in SuSE and PLD. Not sure
about Mandrake but I think it is in Cooker. The most problematic will be (as
usually) Fedora/RedHat. I'd see there not only gnokii/xgnokii but also
gnocky.

>       are there any people on the list who know how to manage
> to do so ?

Gnokii Debian package maintaner used to read gnokii ml.