Re: Just downloaded 0.6.0 to try on my 3310...

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: Just downloaded 0.6.0 to try on my 3310...
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 13:38:14 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, Ian Collier wrote:

Hi Ian,

> I'm trying out gnokii 0.6.0 with my shiny new data cable for a Nokia 3310
> handset.  Kudos to the project developers for providing phone software that
> doesn't require Windows!  (I'm running it on an ancient Red Hat.)

Thanks for so detailed report. It is very useful.

>  - gnokii crashes when trying to send a picture message.  I've traced it
>    down to the fact that the userdata[0].length field is still set to
>    zero when gn_sms_send tries to send the message.  This means that,
>    although that function knows the message is long enough to need
>    splitting, the sms_send_long function doesn't think the message
>    needs splitting.  There follows infinite recursion and a nasty
>    crash.

Okay. I need to retest this. It used to work but it must have got broken
somehow. Gnokii regression testing really sucks :-( My bad.

>  - I can send ringtones to my phone (after a bit of confusion noting
>    that the available location numbers are 16-23 inclusive - it might
>    be worth noting this in the docs).  However, I can't retrieve them:

Okay.

>    gnokii complains that the data is in invalid format - and if I add
>    the -raw option then the retrieved data just looks like garbage.

Is the saved ringtone available from the phone?
Could you please send us:
 - debug output when you save the ringtone
 - debug output when retrieving it
?

>  - The --getspeeddial function returns "1:0" for every speed dial, and
>    --setspeeddial doesn't seem to work either.

I'll look into it.

>  - The BMP input filter seems confused: if I use --viewlogo with a BMP
>    file for input, the output doesn't seem to make any sense.

That's strange. Last time I was fixing bitmap support I was testing it
with BMP files. Need to look into this.

>  - The XPM input filter seems to work, but the files I've tried
>    seem to have been interpreted in reverse video.

Is it reversed in the phone or using --viewlogo?

>  - Wishlist item: a PBM input filter (should be fairly trivial if you
>    can get BMP to work).

Okay. What is the library that supports PBM?

>  - I can send a startup logo to my phone; I can then re-fetch it and
>    get the same logo back (though I don't understand the file format
>    it uses and there don't seem to be any docs or a conversion program
>    for it).  However, the phone doesn't actually display the logo on
>    startup, so I'm not sure what the good of it is. :-)

The format should be quite similiar to NOL file (see Docs/logos.txt) but
it is definitely worth documentation. And checking what's going wrong.

>  - The "network code" option when sending an operator logo is a bit
>    confusing; no matter what network code I specify, gnokii says
>    it's dealing with operator 000 00 (unknown).  Maybe this phone
>    only supports one operator logo (does it?), but in that case the
>    program's output and the docs could be improved a bit.  :-)

You have to use your operator code. Otherwise the phone won't show it.
Could you please say when gnokii says your operator code is 000 00?

You may try also gnocky (http://www.gnokii.org/download/gnocky/).

mailto:address@hidden
http://www.gnokii.org/