Re: gnokii --writephonebook niggles

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: gnokii --writephonebook niggles
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 17:48:29 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Oliver, Peter wrote:

> Some contacts had email addresses but no phone numbers.  Gnokii wrote out
> lines of the form "Name;;ME;...", and when it tried to read these lines back
> in it errored "Write FAILED (Data format is not valid.)".  Presumably this
> is a parsing bug.  Fortunately, inserting "0" between the first two
> semicolons as a dummy phone number proved to be a workaround.
>
> Outlook puts semicolons in it's address fields.  Gnokii successfully gets
> them from the phone and writes them out.  When it tries to read them back
> in, it sees them as separators, and issues the error "There is no phone
> number on line [...] entry n".  I had to manually remove the semicolons.
> There needs to be some mechanism for escaping ";".

Okay. I think I have fixed both problems. First, gnokii is capable of
importing csv (not really cvs, gnokii input is semicolon
speratated, not comma) entries with escaped semicolons in the fields
contents. Eg:
test\; not real;*501;ME;1
The second change makes gnokii and xgnokii to export to CVS escaping
semicolons from the field contents.

More fixes include:
 - xgnokii output should be now identical to gnokii csv output
 - phone drivers allow to save empty number or empty name (but apps treat
empty names as the request to delete the entry).

Changes tested with my 6310.

mailto:address@hidden
http://www.gnokii.org/