Re: DKU-5 and FreeBSD

From: soralx
Subject: Re: DKU-5 and FreeBSD
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 02:12:10 -0600

> On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 02:46:26AM -0600, SorAlx wrote:
>>>
>>> Good localtime(),
>>>
>>> I'm statring to work on a project, and a part of it is to make a cell
>>> phone [fully] controllable by a computer. One way to achieve this
>>> is to emulate keypresses through a data port. So, can somebody help me
>>> to figure out what Nokia cell-phone model I need to get to be able to
>>> do that, or at least send SMS E-mails from it, using Gnokii under FreeBSD?
>>
>> I would like to be helpful, if possible.  I use FreeBSD as well,
>> and have a Nokia 6800, which also uses a DKU-5 cable.
>>
>>> I'd also like to know if it's possible to make the DKU-5 cable
>>> (http://www.tangshop.com/nokia-dku5-usb-cable.html) work with FBSD.
>>
>> Dunno, I have a different OEM cable:
>>
>>  Mobile Actions MA-8620E
>>  <http://gadgetfreeks.com/fodasumausbd.html>
>>
>> This cable 'works' under FreeBSD, to the extent that the phone says
>> 'data accessory attached', and FreeBSD usbd detects the device:
>>
>>  Sep 13 15:50:01 natto /kernel: ugen0: Prolific Technology PL2303 Serial
>>  adapter (ATEN/IOGEAR UC232A), rev 1.10/2.02, addr 2
>>
>> This requires a kernel patch available here:
>>
>>  <http://gate.intercaf.ru/~lesha/6100/>
>>
>> That author of that page says 'However Gammu and Gnokii won't work
>> with this cable', then later says 'I have finally managed to make
>> this cable WORK'.  Only now, I notice a note implying AT mode might
>> work, so I'm off to test that right now...
>>
>> Does the OEM DKU-5 cable you mention show up as a data accessory
>> with your phone? Or is the issue that you haven't selected a DKU-5
>> compatable model at all?
>>
>On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 04:01:28PM -0400, Brian Reichert wrote:
>> That author of that page says 'However Gammu and Gnokii won't work
>> with this cable', then later says 'I have finally managed to make
>> this cable WORK'.  Only now, I notice a note implying AT mode might
>> work, so I'm off to test that right now...
>
> Hey!  And that much works!  Cool, more to play with:
>
>  natto% uname -rs && gnokii --identify
>  FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE
>  GNOKII Version 0.6.4-CVS-20040709
>  IMEI         : 010282000587057
>  Manufacturer : Nokia
>  Model        : Nokia 6800
>  Revision     : V 5.58
>
> Brian Reichert                          <address@hidden>
> 37 Crystal Ave. #303                    Daytime number: (603) 434-6842
> Derry NH 03038-1713 USA                 BSD admin/developer at large

Thanks for the input! This is just what I wanted to know:
which cable has the chip that will work with FreeBSD.
How well does the cable work? Any packet drops, erros? I have
some cable with RS232 connector, and it is almost unusable,
because of ~ 30% error rate...

Now, can you test in any of the following will work with your phone?
`gnokii --keysequence P`
`gnokii --keysequence 0123`
`gnokii --displayoutput`
`gnokii --sendsms <destination>`