Re: sprintf usage

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: sprintf usage
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 22:55:49 +0200

Hi,

On 5/5/06, E. Rosten <address@hidden> wrote:
> There seems to be a problem with gnokii sources and some compilers. I
> got the report from FC4 and gcc version 4.0.2 20051125. The problem is
> with interpretation of:
> sprintf(buffer, "%s%d", buffer, digit);

> It used to work so far but under FC4 it behaves always in the was as
> buffer was empty (regardles of buffer contents) and the result string
> is always the digit.

What is the expected benaviour? Is it essentially appending %d digit to
the end of the buffer.

That is expected behaviour. But in the case above it is always the
last appended digit (ie. one char).

> Is it a bug in gcc or is it misuse of sprintf?

These things tend to be quite ill specified in the standard, so I would
expect that it is a misuse. The bast place to ask is probably
comp.lang.c.moderated

Well, I already changed this to I think safe solution. But thanks anyway.

Also, wouldn't it be better to use snprintf as a general rule?

It is, but doesn't solve the problem.

take care,
Pawel Kot
http://www.gnokii.org/