Re: Need hardware advice

From: Daniele Forsi
Subject: Re: Need hardware advice
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 18:41:11 +0200

010/6/15 Nicolas Vermeersch:

> I'm planning on building my own sms server. I want to use it for sending
> mass smses to all of our members (~700).

I think we never did the math, but since with a phone or modem you can
send only as fast as the GSM network accepts your SMS, it can take
more than 1 hour to send 700 SMS and in the worst case scenario where
you use smsd with a default smsc_timeout of 10 seconds and at the
first attempt all 700 SMS fail after timeout, you can start a second
attempt only after about 2 hours (700 * 10 seconds)

> Can you advise me on what hardware I need to buy?

don't buy hardware if you can, you may want to read this:
http://wiki.gnokii.org/index.php/Best_phone

--
Daniele Forsi