writecalendar and recurrences

From: gnokii
Subject: writecalendar and recurrences
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 00:02:40 +0530

> Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 12:14:24 +0100
> From: Pawel Kot <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Nokia 5130c-2 writecalendar "COUNT=" excessive recurrence
> To: "Discussion forum for gnokii users." <address@hidden>
>
> Hi Charles,
>
> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 11:25,  <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> First, gnokii problem at the moment is that we cannot set recurrence
> properly at all as of now -- just to make clear if we're on the same
> page.
>
> Now, that's not an easy problem to solve. Because the solution should
> take into the consideration both: phone capabilities and protocol
> capabilities. If we can achieve it, I'd go for it. Even given that
> with splitting a recurred event into the series of individual events
> would loose some information (that they are linked together). But that
> would still be better than loosing the information about the
> recurrence at all.
>
> Would you volunteer to work on such code?
>
> take care,
> --
> Pawel Kot

Thanks Pawel  :-)

Yes -- I intend to produce an awk script for the following use case:

1. Export calendar from Xfce's Orage (events only, initially no "To Do"s or
Journals).
2. awk script to process the Orage export file:
   a) Remove events outside a settable date range.
   b) Convert recurring events to a series of single events.
3. Test by gnokii writecalendar to Nokia 5130c-2

My C is very rusty so it may be less work for you to use the awk as an
algorithm prototype than to clean up my attempts to contribute C to gnokii.
To be decided.

Best

Charles