Re: compressed message

From: alonso acuña
Subject: Re: compressed message
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 01:24:29 -0600

I no longer have the message so I can't really test. Still I would think there is a problem with the handling of any message that in fact is compressed because smsd does not remove it or set it as read and does not consider it to be the unread message it is looking for, so it keeps looking in all locations all the time.  I don't know what a compressed message is and what are the chances that one would actually arrive under normal usage.

I have one other question about encoding. Is Gnokii aware of national language shift tables as described here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM_03.38 ?

thanks

Alonso

On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 5:04 PM, Daniele Forsi <address@hidden> wrote:
2012/12/31 alonso acuña:

> I would appreciate some insight into what is going on in there. Is it really
> important to stop decoding of these messages and not let it decode as
> Default Alphabet? If so then how can we improve it so that the sms does not
> stay on the phone forever?

maybe our logic to detect a compressed message is wrong since we're
checking only bit 5:

        if (dcs.type & 0x20) {
                dprintf("Compressed message\n");
                return GN_ERR_NOTIMPLEMENTED;
        }

instead of all the coding group bits 011x xxxx (see ETSI TS 123 038
Section 5 CBS Data Coding Scheme)

try changing the check above (at line 465 of my copy of common/gsm-sms.c) with:

if ((dcs.type & 0xe0) == 0x60) {

or send me your debug output (privately if it contains personal details)
--
Daniele Forsi