gnomoradio-devel

[gnomoradio-devel] audio output layer

From: Jim Garrison
Subject: [gnomoradio-devel] audio output layer
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 01:29:12 -0400

Hello,

I am considering switching to libao for audio output in roboradio.
Basicly, esd is just too limited, and not everyone uses it.  Also, I
have gotten a binary statically linked on Mac OS X, but the only thing
holding it back is that esd cannot play sound through the fallback
method, because its Mac OS support is based on a clever hack which fails
to work when the daemon is unavailable.

Information about libao is available here:
http://www.xiph.org/ao/

The library has an esd output plugin, but configuring the default device
does require editing a configuration file (it didn't work on my machine
out of the box).  Is there any demand for a pure esound output layer
that does not use libao?  If not, I will commit my patches that move the
dependency to libao.  If so, I may make the output layer an option at
configure time.

The next step will be to make a win32 output plugin for libao. :)

Jim