gnoppix-user

[Gnoppix-user] Re: Install to HD, etc

From: Michael Mauch
Subject: [Gnoppix-user] Re: Install to HD, etc
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 00:03:31 +0200

Sheldon Isaac wrote:

> I have been using DOS and Windows9x for years, and want to try Linux.
>
> On Wednesday I got a computer to do that:
> 300 MHz AMD K6-2
> FIC VA-503+ PCB 1.X
> 64 Mb
> HITACHI CDR-7730

> As I understand it, if I have a friend download
> ftp://source.rfc822.org/pub/local/gnoppix/gnoppix-0.5.5-2.iso
> and burn it to a CD-R, I can boot Gnoppix from the CD-R?

You can, but probably only with a more recent computer. 64 MB is more
than enough for a small Linux distribution, but if you use KDE or
Gnome (and Gnoppix uses Gnome), you probably won't have much fun with
these 64 MB - and I doubt that Gnoppix will even start on your machine
(although I didn't try it myself).

Your CD-ROM has 4x speed - halfway recent CD-ROMs run with at least 20x
speed. As Gnoppix runs entirely from CD and you really don't have a lot
of RAM, this will make things even worse.

I think you will be better off with Knoppix, because it comes with the
icewm window manager which doesn't need as much RAM as Gnome or KDE.
Just type

  knoppix desktop=icewm

at the boot prompt.

See also: <http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en-old.html#requirements>